Saturday, June 17, 2006

"Free....free...FREEEEE at Last!"

Going outside without a leash on is really a big thing to me. I've only been allowed to do it since last Thursday when Dr. V said she didn't think there was a hawk or owl that could pick me up, now that I weigh SIX POINT SIX pounds. I know that trust is really important in a relationship and I don't want to blow it. I like having "responsibility".

Mom and I go downstairs so she can "make coffee". She doesn't really MAKE it but she grinds up some beans and puts a filter in the coffee maker, pours water, and pushes a button. So if you want to say that's making coffee....oh, but I digress. (I do that sometimes).

So she opens the slider and I look at her as if "Hello? You forgot the leash?", but then she says "OK, Mary-Margaret! You can go out!". Ohmygawsh...like I don't believe it. But I step outside carefully, and glance at Mom while I rev my engines, and then - "WHOOOOOSH!". I'm all over the place. She watches me race with my shadow for a bit, zigging and zagging all over the back yard. After a few minutes she opens the slider and says to me, "OK, I'm going in now!". Well, like I said, I don't want this good thing to end, so I stop my whoooooshing and trot right in with her. I like making good decisions on my own and not always being TOLD what to do.

That seems to make her really happy. She laughs and tell me that I'm a really REALLY good dog. Of course, that makes me happy, too. I get some of her breakfast like maybe a dollop of cream cheese, and then I have a nap on her lap while she gives me belly rubs. Being good and not breaking a trust has it's rewards, you know.

I'll try to get her to take some more pictures of me whooshing, but if you scroll down to around May 14th, you'll see one that my Uncle Jason took of me. He's the only person that's ever been able to catch me in mid-flight. I'm THAT fast. :o)

Love and Thanks to everybody for being my friend -

Mary-Margaret O'Brien
Blog Award Winner and
Trustworthy Puppy

No comments: