Friday, July 04, 2008

Love is what you DO, not what you say!

I asked my mom to tell ME what her thoughts were today. She has trouble expressing herself sometimes, and finds it's easier if I do it for her. There's some guy on TV who asks people for the "top 10" whatever. So I asked her to give me the top 10 things she was thinking about or that puzzled her, besides work. Here goes.

10) How come she thinks of one word and types another without meaning to, or thinks of a word and can't say it out loud...like it's right there but won't come out?

9) Why do people spends so much time looking for something that's right in front of them all the time, like the remote or a hairbrush, or a pen? (Or a small dog....but I usually say "Boo!" so that doesn't count)

8) Too many people say what's on the top of their head and what they think will make other people happy or not cause a fight, instead of saying what they really think and getting to know each other honestly. Terrible to have an elephant in your living room, isn't it? (Note from MM - I haven't noticed one but I'll go look in a minute).

7) Which brings us to politics...and candidates back-pedaling or changing direction so smoothly that it seems like others don't notice....is it just my mom that sees that? Sort of like that old fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes"? Why make promises or commitments you have no intention of keeping?

6) At what point in a person's life do they no longer cry?

5) She thinks Barney, the Dinosaur, is a terrible influence on children. "I love you...you love me...we're a happy family!" is shallow and delusional, teaching kids that "If you say it, it must be so!". So preschoolers are taught the "Stepford Way" at an early age, with absolutely no grounding in reality or responsibility.

4) Were the Cleaver and the Anderson families realistic or idealistic in their time? (Note from MM - I think she means "Beaver" and "Father Knows Best", but maybe not!).

3) Where do dreams come from and what do they mean?


2) She's really afraid that the next and last time her whole family will ever be together again is at a funeral, and that makes her very sad.

1) When someone says "I love you", how do you know it's for real?

(Oh heck, I answered that last one on my own. It's not what someone says, it's what they do, that shows you if they truly care.)

There you have it...the top ten things on my mom's mind. I made her tell. Now she's going to go fix my dinner, hug me and give me kisses and belly rubs. Right, Mom?

Love,

Mary-Margaret

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MMOB you are so very smart. Love is what you do and we show it by giving kisses and snuggling. Happy 4th of July!
P.S. We love your artwork, it's beautiful.

Love,
Simon & Hallie

Anonymous said...

I would like to add the top ten...how come husbands and boyfriends come and go, but your girlfriends are for ever?