Friday, January 09, 2009

Meeska Mooska Mouseketeer


My mom is sad today. Cheryl Holdridge died. I never knew her but I know that my mom just loved her when she was a little girl. She even wished she could be her (or just like her). Cheryl was her everly most favorite Mouseketeer. Mom liked watching other shows when Cheryl was on, too. Like "Leave it to Beaver" (where she played Wally's girlfriend). She had the most beautiful smile and always seemed so happy and so nice.

Cheryl grew up and got married in 1964 to Lance Reventlow, the son of Barbara Hutton, the Woolworth heiress. It was like a real life fairy tale with the beautiful blonde princess marrying the heir to the throne. Her husband was killed in a plane crash just eight years later. Mom felt really bad about that. Seems like when someone has everything to live for, something really awful happens.

Princess Diana was like Cheryl Holdridge. She just made the world a brighter place for being in it. Lots of people would have liked to have had Princess Diana's life, too. She also died way too young.

I just tell Mom that the most important thing anybody can do is leave the world a better place than it was when they got there. That's my philosophy, anyway. I am who I am and I don't wish for anything more than I have. I tell Mom that I bet Cheryl Holdridge and Princess Diana would trade places with Mom in a heartbeat, if only they knew back then what we know now.

God bless Cheryl Holdridge (and Princess Diana) for being who they were, and setting an example for all of us to be the best that we can with what God gave us, while we can.

Mary-Margaret "The Philosopher" O'Brien

No comments: