Saturday, March 08, 2008

Going to market....

..to buy a fat chicken for MY dinner. Did I mention my mom doesn't cook unless there's a blizzard? And since we live in sunny California, maybe an hour from the beach, there's not a heck of a lot of chance of that. I think she made a turkey for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago when she had my cousins over, and Auntie C and Jason, but she wasn't real happy about how it turned out. Too dry, she said, despite her bagging it like the directions said.

Which is why I get fresh roast chicken from Albertson's all the time. Except when they're out. And then she takes a few "chicken tenders" from the bag in the freezer and poaches them in ...let's see now...Chardonnay is what the bottle says, and also some lemon juice. You know, to be perfectly honest? I'd rather have that than roast chicken, but my Grandpapa is worried I might get hooked on the wine part. He thinks I'll get tipsy. Everybody knows that wine evaporates when you heat it and all that's left is the flavor? Right? I just get happy because I like the taste so much.

Anyone know what part of a chicken is the "tender"?? I haven't forgotten what part of the bull made a "bully stick" and I sure don't want to be chewing on anything like that from a chicken. Assuming chickens have stuff like that.

Well, that's it for tonight.

Love you all....

Mary-Margaret "The Gourmet" O'Brien

No comments: