Monday, August 11, 2008

Home again!

Thank you to all of our friends and relatives and other interested parties who inquired about our flight. Here's a little narrative from one who flies "under the seat of the pants":

We boarded two hours late... and sat on the ground for another hour or so. Lighting hit all around us, maybe yards away. Me? Oh, I was in my cozy little car seat UNDER the seat in front of the console. I made a couple of polite comments about my unfortunate situation and the next thing you know Mom covered me with a dark blue US Airways blanket. Like...what am I? A bird?

I took the hint and slept most of the time. There was a 3-year old girl kid on the flight who probably never heard the word "No!" in her entire life. She disobeyed her parents several times and the best her mom could come up with was "Now you've really hurt my feelings. You can't get back into your seat until you say 'I'm Sorry!'." Oh great. The holy terror was climbing over the seats, using a mirror to shine the reading lights all over First Class and into other passengers eyes, and doing other self-entertaining tricks. You got the picture?.

She tried to get me, too. ("Where's the puppy? I wanna pet the puppy!") and she crawled across the aisle on the floor so we were eyeball to eyeball. I gave her a couple of warning arfs, telling her I was working and to back off. She kept coming and Mom said, quite firmly, "NO!!". Her Dad gave Mom a dirty look, and Mom told the little brat...I'm mean...girl, that if she was still awake when we landed she could visit with me. Lucky me. She conked out and was in a stupor when we de-planed at what would be about 3:30AM Eastern time.

As soon as the plane and the gate paired up, I "arfed" a couple of "thank you" barks to the Captain for a job well done. Anytime we land back on the ground after flying 7 miles high is, to my way of thinking, a job well done.

I visited the ladies' room after an eleven-hour stint. The last time was at 4:40PM Eastern, but us Yorkettes have quite a holding tank, you know? Front paws on piddle pad, back end over tile....and SQUAT! Yup. I think I got my point across. Mom flipped the pad over and soaked it all up. "Oh, Mary-Margaret. You must be pretty mad about now, huh?". Well, yeah? You think??

We got home at what would be about 4:45AM Eastern (1:45AM Pacific). I peeked through the slider glass at CATS. CATS IN MY BACK YARD!! Well, I fussed and squeaked so much that Mom let me out to clear the yard and do a patrol of the perimeter. "NO MORE CATS!!", I told her, and I came back in with wet feet and tummy, but with the satisfaction of a job well done.

This is Mary-Margaret "East-West" O'Brien, reporting from Temecula, California. Back to youuuuuuuuuuu, fans.

7 comments:

Becky said...

Glad you are back home and patrolling again! Flying is always a challenge when you have to be under the seat, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Here's a little narrative from one who flies "under the seat of the pants":


Glad you 2 are HOME in Ca..
I thought service babies do not have to be under seats. Is it that they can be with you & not in the cargo part or did your mom just put you & your pretty red carrier under the seat instead of her lap for the long trip ?????
You got something coming in the mail. I got to the PO late this afternoon (finally).
Love ya, Aunt Shelly

Lacy said...

w00f's MM, sounds like u had a fun trip home...me got kiddies dat ride their bicycles over in my yard...mama and daddy haff to tell them to go to their yard to even put me in the car to go fur a bye bye ride....glad u got home safe...

b safe,
~rocky~

Mary-Margaret O'Brien said...

Gee, Aunt Shelly, I thought my mom was trying to keep me safe by wedging me under there. So I wouldn't bounce around and so that rotten kid couldn't get at me. But you'll be happy to know that on the flight TO Philly, there was an empty seat next to Mom, so she asked the Flight Attendant if I could sit there. Woo hoo....I got my whole car seat buckled into the plane seat the got to look out the window from about Kansas on.

Mom's always looking out for me, and wants me to have the very best experiences ever.

Anonymous said...

I thought my mom was trying to keep me safe by wedging me under there_____________________________ I know she always looks out for you & wants to keep you safe. I was just wondering if it's cuz service babies HAVE to be under the seat or if it was to keep you away from the kid from hell & just because you like your pretty red carrier/napper so you could get a few winks in. Since Pnut does not have a carrier I just wanted to know incase we ever fly some place. I thought if they were service babies they did not need to be in a carrier, under the seat, etc..Sorry, I was just curious. Love ya, Aunt Shelly & gang

Deetz said...

That girls pawents probably watch alot of Nanny to the Rescue or something and think they are doing a great job...personally my mum said she would have smacked the lil thing and sat her back on her daddies lap with a big ol grin.....
Not really, but she would have wanted too. I am glad you are safely on the ground
Deetzy

Poppy's Corner Shop said...

Hi Mary-Margaret!! Thank you for your nice words!! I am so happy to have discovered your blog! I live in Castellon with my mum and next to my sister Patricia and they love me so much... have you been to my boutique yet? give me your opinion, I think is exclusive because we do not have items like this in Spain. This is why my mum started the shop, because she wanted designer clothes for me.

Poppy xoxo