Saturday, July 23, 2011

"Truth" - Sunday, July 24, 2011

(Another installment in the Yorkie Brigade Chapel series)



Welcome to Chapel this BEE-YOO-TI-FULL Sunday. It's so nice to see you all again. Today we'll be talking about "Truth".

Sir Winston Churchill once said “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened “.

Two pups are discussing their view of the Grand Canyon. The first pup describes it as the biggest hole he’s ever seen and he hopes he doesn’t get blamed for it. The second pup describes it as a river surrounded by sheer rock walls all around, as high up as he can see. Both are describing the exact same scene but one is at the top of the canyon and the other is at the bottom. Both are telling the truth from their own point of view.

Last week, Mom saw me hunched over something and heard me barking like crazy. The something (actually a rat)ran over to the fence and I followed it. When we both reached the corner of the yard, the rat died and Mom assumed I killed it. Not wanting to burst her bubble I played along. That was her truth, and no harm was done. My truth, though, was that I had an encounter with a sick rat and I was comforting him. Everett, our exterminator, tends to side with me.

Seriously, folks, rats are nocturnal and this was in broad daylight. I still have the original squeakies in my baby toys. I’m just not a murderer. I barked for Mom to come fix him but she didn’t understand. I tried to help and I failed, so I prayed with him. I guess you could say I was giving him “last rites”?

The truth depends on perspective. One believes a truth based only on the information they have in their possession, but an entire truth consists of a kaleidoscope of facts, some requiring research and deep thought to understand.

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.”, said Benjamin Franklin. The vision of me sitting over a dead rat was only half the story. As Galileo said almost 400 years earlier, “All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”.

Once the pieces of a story come together, the truth became apparent and is evidenced and proven by hard facts instead of by assumptions. “A lie told often enough becomes the truth”, as Lenin once said. Let us all be more like Diogenes of Sinope, one of the Cynic Philosphers (412BC to 323BC) and search to discover honesty and truth in it’s purest form.

Please turn to your neighbors and wag your tails (or fluff your feathers) as a sign ofpeace. Again, I am asking for volunteer speakers for upcoming Sundays. We want to hear from all of you about your history, your family, your lives and your loves. Email me privately if you are shy. I look forward to talking with you.

The Ladies of the Leather Collar have been experimenting with freeze dried salmon treats. Please stop by their table on your way out and let them know what you think.

Blessings……….

Mary-Margaret O'Brien
Chaplain - Yorkie Brigade
"A dog has so many friends because he wags his tail and not his tongue!"

No comments: