Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First Blood - The Mighty Hunter


The back yard is getting more and more interesting every day. As I'm piddling around my plum tree I notice I'm not alone. "Hello?", I say. "Have we met?". Oh..apparently not, because I'm given a quick glance and then ignored. Someone is munching on MY plums without MY permission.

"Hello?", I say again. "Do you know that you're in MY yard?". Still nothing. So I launch into attack mode. I get the critter between my paws and I study it. It starts to run so I immediately go into "bark mode".

Mom comes to the back door and says, curiously, "What ARE you doing?". I'm busy so I ignore her. And then she sees a critter scampering toward the fence, with me in hot pursuit. I charge and then pull back...then charge again. By the time me and the strange critter get to the corner where the two fences meet, my mom is yelling her fool head off screaming "NONONONONONO...MARY-MARGARET! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yuck...BAD!!". I'm still ignoring her, and by the time she gets her shoes on her feet my quarry is finished. I am declared the winner.



(Double click the picture to enlarge and see what I bagged on safari!)

Here comes my mom, camera and all, still not quite getting it. "ARRRRGGGH!!", she squeals. "A RAT!". Then comes a stream of NONONONO's and BLEGHs and YUCKS!! She takes the picture and then I get scooped up. There's some pink on my tummy and she checks me out. It's plum pulp and maybe a bit of juice. I'm sticky but fine.

Back in the house she tries to tempt me with my dinner but having tasted rat I'm not into chicken tonight. I go to the back door and squeak to go out. "In your DREAMS!", Mom says. "Not until the neighborhood cats take care of that RAT!!". Then she says (to no one in particular), "Tomorrow, I'm calling the exterminator!"

So far I haven't heard one "Thank you!" or "Nice job, Mary-Margaret!". Not one.

Hmmmph!

Love,

Mary-Margaret

PS - I don't think I'm getting kissed on the mouth tonight, either!

3 comments:

Heartprints Pets said...

Oh, my goodness Mary-Margaret! You sure are brave That rat looks NASTY! I'm glad it didn't bite you. Be careful on your hunts!

Lisa said...

Great Job Mary-Margaret! You protected your mom and your yard. Not sure if your mom knows it or not, but Yorkies were intially bred and used to control the vermin in the textile mills in England. Tell your mom that you don't need "no stinkin cats" to do the job while she has you around. Have a great day you two!

Neeko said...

OMD! OMD! Oh My Dogness Gorgeous!!!
You are one powerful Lady! That rat was Humongous!!! Meee is sooo impressed with your superpowers :o)
Wow! Did your Mommy toss you in the bath afterwards? Did she make you rinse your mouth like 97 times with mouthwash? My Mommy would have done just that after the screaming...
Well done Gorgeous Mary-Margaret! Well done!

Love and Smooches,
Neeko :o)
P.S. Meee is still MIA in bloggieville since my little Sis moved in :o( It is all about Aida these days...

dy! That rat was Humongous!!! Meee is sooo impressed with your superpowers :o)
Wow! Did your Mommy toss you in the bath afterwards? Did she make you rinse your mouth like 97 times with mouthwash? My Mommy would have done just that after the screaming...
Well done Gorgeous Mary-Margaret! Well done!

Love and Smooches,
Neeko :o)
P.S. Meee is still MIA in bloggieville since my little Sis moved in :o( It is all about Aida these days...