Saturday, January 08, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandma and Elvis!

Today is January 8th!! This is my Grandma's birthday AND Elvis Presley's. Grandma would have been 89 years old today. Elvis would have been 76. I am bowing my head in honor of the memory of both of these great humans.



My Grandma was the youngest of seven (or eight, depending on who's counting) kids. Let's see. There was Sherman, Ted, John, Emma Jane, Esther, Maurice, Robert, and Ruth (my Grandma). Robert went to live someplace else when he was pretty little because some people thought he needed special care and nobody talked about him after that. Grandma Ruth was the youngest and pretty much ignored by her older brothers and sisters, except for "Maury", but he was a boy and usually playing with other boys or helping out on the farm. When she was little she used to play all by herself like she was Tarzan and she'd swing from trees. Sometimes she'd run around their farm house in Burlington Junction, Missouri, and yell out her name to no one in particular - "I AM RUTH GARNET WARE! I AM RUTH GARNET WARE!".

She married my Grandpa when she was only 18 years old, graduated from Woodbury College in Los Angeles, and then spent the rest of her life being a good mother (one daughter and three sons) and a good wife. She and my mom never quite got the art of communication down very well, so when I was adopted by my mom I had the idea of writing to my Grandma every day about my life through my Diary which I put on the internet. I figured that way Grandma and Mom could understand each other better if they went through a third person (third pup, in this case!). And it worked out really well.

When Grandma left life as we know it on November 27, 2007, Grandpa started reading my diary. It helps him feel closer to my mom and to Grandma, too. It makes him get that warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a loving family to know what his children, his grandchildren and grand doggy are up to day by day. He and my mom picked up right where they left off sixty years earlier and they talk on the phone every night at 7:00PM, too, just to say "I love you!". That's important to say to people you care about, you know!!

About Elvis, we think if he and my Grandma ever meet in that other world, she'll have a few things to say about the way he lived his life and he'll be a better man for it.



Since today is Saturday and it's a little overcast and chilly outside I decided to sleep in. Apparently that's NOT acceptable to some people who pull back the covers and shove a camera in other people's faces!! I told her to go away and leave me alone!!

Grandma..I know you're reading this from wherever you are! I love you and miss you and I'm sending you big schloppy schlurps. Happy Birthday!!

Hugs and kisses from your Grand Doggy...

Mary-Margaret O'Brien

No comments: