Saturday, April 05, 2008

Puppy Mills and Oprah Winfrey

My mom couldn't watch. Neither could I (but that's because I only get to watch what my mom watches). But we heard all about it. A TV show about the horrible conditions in "puppy mills".

For those of you who don't know me, I was born in a "Puppy Mill" in Elkland, MO owned by Thomas and Jean Rippee on September 19, 2005. Before I picked out my mom on November 25, 2005, I'd been shipped from Missouri to California, had an operation to repair an inguinal hernia; poked, prodded and examined and tossed into a glass kennel at Pacific Pets pet store with a young Maltese whose bark could shatter glass. All this before I was nine weeks old.

My Certificate of Pedigree is just a family tree. Nobody on it has "CH" (or champion) in front of their names. My birth father's name is "Dandy Agustus Bush" and my birth mother's name is "Sissy's Tootoo by T and J". On November 21, 2005 I was given a physical and my "report card" (that's what it says) has "appears normal" x'd by every checkpoint. And four days later I met my mom. That was the very best day of my life. It was the best day of hers, too, but she didn't know it for a couple of hours. I just hung in there while she played with everybody, including that annoying Maltese, until it was just me and her. Yup. I used every ounce of telepathic energy that God gave me until it hit her. WE ARE FAMILY!!

I am loved for who I am, which is pretty lucky. I have a grade 4 luxated patella on my left leg, and maybe a grade 2 on my right. It doesn't hurt but it will cost Mom about $3000 to fix it someday. I was 2.1 pounds when she adopted me, even though I was 2.4 pounds only 4 days earlier. My body is maybe a bit long, and I am sorta round in the middle. I cough sometimes when I get excited....like maybe I have a little problem with my "trachea". Some of us pups do as it's congenital.

My whole point on writing this is to tell you that you have to love with your heart and not with your eyes. If you go to a shelter, a breeder, a pet store, or pound you're going to be adopting somebody that will love you for absolutely ever no matter what you look like, even if you get sick. There are no guarantees like what comes with a new car. We are companions, not trophies. All we want is to love and be loved...in our forever home by our "foralways" family.

Off my soapbox for now...

Mary-Margaret

4 comments:

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

My Human got me from a reputable breeder. I have lots of Ch's in my lineage. But I suffer from a previously unknown genetic seizure disorder.

But my Human loves me. And I love her, too!

Unknown said...

Mary Margaret, aren't we lucky to be so loved? I have a genetic eye problem and I'm going blind but my mommy says she loves me even more. Love, Hallie Ann

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mary-Margaret!
My mom did not want to watch the tv program. She cries just hearing about those puppy mills.
My mom got me from a vet and I was very sick. Its a miracle that I made it! Now, thanks to my mom I am alive and I have the best home I could imagine!
I hope you are having a great weekend
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Joanie said...

I can't watch those shows either, Mary Margaret. My littlest Yorkie, Sissy, does that "coughing" thing too, when she gets excited, I have to tell her to calm down. She came from parents who may have been overbred, too, she developed double teeth, which one set had to be removed, and she has other little things too. But, we love her and Sammy with all our hearts, and yes, we are family...glad you are too with your mom! Joanie